vendredi 14 septembre 2012

Chai Tea Concentrate

Fall is coming, I know it is.  I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the cool weather, snuggly sweaters, and one of my two favorite drinks - Chai Tea.  I can drink it hot or cold.  I can drink it all day long. 
There is something amazingly comforting about a hot cup of Chai while reading a book.  Or working.  Or spending time with friends enjoying the leaves changing, and a walk throughout the city.
On Sunday, when I went to LIC and to Foodcellar & Co, I ordered a Chai Tea Latte.  It was delicious.  It added to my perusal of all things delicious.  Cheese.  Baked Goods.  Beautiful flowers.  While ordering I asked if I could buy the concentrate in the store.  Obviously the answer was no, or I wouldnt be writing this post.
So upon returning home - I looked up recipes.  I took items from different recipes, and adapted them to this recipe.


My favorite recipe, for the design, was from a Lucy Knisley post I located... from 2009.  Check out her recipe hereI also LOVE her drawing for the recipe...


J'adore l'automne. J'adore quand il commence à faire frais. Quand on peut mettre des gros pulls, ou des blazers, et des écharpes!
Le weekend dernier j'ai commandé un chai tea et c'était délicieux. Juste ce qu'il me fallait pour un
dimanche au début de Septembre. Du coup, je voulais savoir si je pouvais acheter le sirop pour le faire. Malheureusement, non.
Donc, je suis allée sur le net et j'ai trouvé plusieurs recettes. Je les ai mélangé pour faire la recette dessous.
Mon préféré est la recette en haut. J'adore aussi son dessin!!!!

So moving on to the recipe....

4 Cups of water
4 Black Tea bags (I used English Breakfast, its all I had)
1 - 2 Bay leaves
Ginger
Nutmeg
Cinnamon
Ground Cloves
Honey
Vanilla
Orange (for some juice)

1 - Heat the 4 Cups of water to a boil in a pan.
2 - Once its boiling dump in the tea bags.  (Without the tags that are normally on the bags)
3 - Let the bags boil and steep for about 5-10 minutes.  You can stir them around a bit too.
4 - Add in the Ginger, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Ground Cloves, Bay Leaves.
     * I added a sprinkle of the Ginger, Nutmeg, Cinnamon.  I just kept added each until I had the desired taste.  Some people like it spicy others more sweet.  Play with the amount you put in.  It adds to the fun :)
  5 - Add about 3 Tablespoons of Honey.  See if it is sweet enough, too sweet, or just right.  If its too sweet add some more of the Nutmeg or Cinnamon.
6 - Stir.  And stir.  And stir.  It will start to cook down and become thick.  Like a syrup.  This takes about 20 minutes. 
7 - When it looks almost like molasses, you're done cooking.
8 - Add a bit of Vanilla (to taste) and some of the Orange juice.  I thought the orange added a nice little zing to the concentrate.
Now its time to enjoy!!!!!  Add some regular milk, or I prefer Almond Milk.  And enjoy. 
You can also keep it in a cool Mason Jar.  Thats what I did ;)

La recette en français maintenant!

4 tasses d'eau
4 sachets de thé noir
2 feuilles de laurier
Gingembre
Noix de muscade
Cannelle
Clous de girofle
Miel
Vanille
Orange

1- Faire bouillir les 4 tasses d'eau dans une casserole
2- Mettre les sachets de thé dans l'eau bouillante
3- Laisser infuser le thé 5 à 10 minutes dans l'eau bouillante
4-  Ajouter le gingembre, les clous de girofle, la cannelle, la noix de muscade et  les feuilles de laurier.
*J'ai commencé par saupoudrer légèrement et j'en ai ajouté petit à petit jusqu'à obtenir le goût désiré.
5- Ajouter 3 cuillères à soupe de miel. Goûter. Si c'est trop sucré, ajouter de la noix de muscade ou de la cannelle.   
6- Remuer jusqu'à ce que le mélange s'épaississe et ressemble à un sirop
7- Quand le mélange ressemble à de la mélasse, la cuisson est finie
8- Ajouter de la vanille et un peu du jus de l'orange pressée. Je trouve que l'orange fait ressortir les arômes.
Ajouter du lait (j'ai opté pour du lait à l'amande). C'est prêt, vous pouvez déguster!
Vous pouvez conserver le Chai tea au frais dans un bocal ou une bouteille, c'esr ce que j'ai fait :)Bon Appetit!

Until Next Time/ A Bientôt
Poulpy

0 comments:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | ewa network review