jeudi 29 novembre 2012

Thanksgiving

A with our beautiful turkey
Thanksgiving.  Its an American (and also Canadian) holiday.  If you search for the holiday (I did a quick Wikipedia search), you will find :
"Thanksgiving, or Thanksgiving Day, is a holiday celebrated in the United States on the fourth Thursday in November...
The event that Americans commonly call the "First Thanksgiving" was celebrated by the Pilgrims after their first harvest in the New World in 1621.[2] The first Thanksgiving feast lasted three days, and was attended by 53 Pilgrims and 90 Native Americans.[3] The New England colonists were accustomed to regularly celebrating "thanksgivings"—days of prayer thanking God for blessings such as military victory or the end of a drought"

Anyway - as someone who was born and raised in America, Thanksgiving has a huge impact.  People even discuss what they are thankful for on facebook during the month of November.

In NYC we have the Macy's Day Parade.  The night before you can head downtown to see all the balloons being blown up.  On Thanksgiving Day you can watch the parade on tv as you prepare your feast.

Thanksgiving in my family was the typical :  Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, Peas, Stuffing, Pie and so much more.  My parents taught me early on to be thankful for my family.  My friends.  My life.  I always loved playing the "thankful" game on Thanksgiving.  Everyone goes around a circle stating for what and whom they are thankful each year.  In elementary school you make hand turkeys (trace your hand and make it a turkey).  As you get older the tradition changes.  College meant cooking with friends and drinking and hoping you dont burn the turkey.

Thanksgiving is a time to celebrate your friends and family.  To tell them you love them.  Its also the beginning of the holiday season in America.  It also means Black Friday the next day when stores have AMAZING sales!

This year I am so thankful it has made me emotional.  I was married on Tuesday, November 20th to an amazing man.  This man, A as we call him on the blog, makes me happier than I could imagine.  He does everything he can to make me happy.  He shows me he loves me.  He spoils me in so many ways; but most importantly he makes me laugh until my stomach hurts.  I have now become Mrs. and I love him for that opportunity.  Im thankful and proud to be his wife.  I'm proud to share his last name with some amazing people, noteably his father and grandparents.  They are wonderful people and I'm thankful to call them family.

I am thankful for my parents. I have not always been an easy child.  I left for France in 2006 and wasnt planning on returning.  I spent four years in college in Vermont, 8 hours from home.  I had a rebellious stage (which really was NOT terrible).  Through thick and thin my parents have loved me, supported me, and cared about me.

My mom, my uncle, and A
I am thankful for my friends.  We love each other unconditionally because we have grown up together.  Whether they be friends I made at 10 years old, or 22, they are amazing people.  Each person teaches me new things everyday.  They make me laugh.  They inform me when I'm being ridiculous.  They love me for me, and I love them for them.  They are my life and have always been my life.

I am thankful for so much, but this year I have been so touched by the love and support A and I have received from our famillies and friends.  Thank you.

A and I had the opportunity to have friends and famillies with us on Friday, November 23rd to celebrate Thanksgiving #2.  I was able to SHOW them how thankful I am for their support.  We were able to show them how much we love them.  And since I wasnt cooking (A did the cooking), they were able to eat an amazing meal as our only was of saying thank you. 

Thanksgiving is so important in America.  Not only because of the meal.  Not only because of the shopping on Friday.  Not only because of the beginning of the holiday season.  Thanksgiving allows us to all say 'thank you' and to show our loved ones we care.

This post is a way to yell it from the roof tops... thank you friends and family for loving me (as I am).  Thank you for loving A and adding him to our family.  Thank you for supporting our love and our hopes and dreams.  I promise when we open a restaurant we will have a special table for you all! 

Thank you to our readers of this blog!  Jadinou and I could not continue our blog if it wasnt for your love and support.  We promise to continue trying to deliver informative, funny, and interesting posts.

Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.

My best friend since high school - 13 years of friendship
Thanksgiving c'est une fête super importante aux EU. C'est fêter le quatrième jeudi de Novembre. Si vous allez sur Wikipedia pour chercher un explication, vous trouverez :

"En 1620, une centaine de dissidents anglais, nommés Pères pèlerins, débarquent du Mayflower dans la baie de Plymouth au Massachusetts. Ils y fondent la Colonie de Plymouth et la ville éponyme. Mais les débuts de la colonisation furent difficiles et la moitié des arrivants périrent de scorbut.
Ces derniers ne durent leur salut qu'à l'intervention d'un autochtone nommé Squanto qui avec l'aide de sa tribu, les Wampanoags, leur offrit de la nourriture, puis leur apprit à pêcher, chasser et cultiver du maïs.
Afin de célébrer la première récolte, à l’automne 1621, le gouverneur William Bradford décréta trois jours d'action de grâce. Les colons invitèrent alors le chef des Wampanoags, Massasoit et 90 de ses hommes à venir partager leur repas en guise de remerciement pour l'aide apportée. Durant ce festin, des dindes sauvages et des pigeons furent offerts[6]"



Si vous êtes à NYC pour Thanksgiving vous pouvez aller voir la parade de Macys. Elle est magnifique, mais faites attention, la ville déborde de monde. Vous pouvez aussi la voir sur à la télé (j'imagine que vous savez ça).

Aussi, le mercredi avant, vous pouvez descendre à Downtown, et vous pouvez voir les préparations de la parade!!! C'est vraiment magnifique à voir!

Moi, j'ai appris à fêter Thanksgiving très jeune, mais pas juste ce jour la. Mes parents m'ont toujours appris à montrer mes sentiments à mes amis et à ma famille tous les jours. Mon père m'a toujours dit que c'est important de montrer quand j'aime quelqu'un car je ne sais jamais ce qui peut se passer.

Cette année je suis vraiment 'thankful' (reconnaissante) pour mes amis, ma famille et A. 

A friend and me.  And do you see Jadinou in the photo from 2009???


Le 20 Novembre je me suis mariée avec A. Je suis devenue Madame (ça me fait sentir veille). Je sais que ma vie est faite pour être avec A. Il me rend heureuse, et je crois que je le rends heureux. On s'aime. Tous les jours il me fait sourire, il me fait rire. Tous les jours il montre qu'il m'aime avec tous ses gestes. Et tous les jours j'essaie de montrer que je l'aime avec toute mon âme. C'est mon amour.

Je suis vraiment fière d'être sa femme, de prendre son nom. Je suis fière de faire parti de sa famille, et de partager mon nouveau nom avec des gens magnifiques. Notamment, son père et ses grand parents. Ces gens son vraiment formidables. Ils ont des coeurs ÉNORMES, et je suis 'thankful' qu'ils m'ont accueilli dans leur famille.

Je suis 'thankful' pour mes amis. Ils m'aiment pour moi, et je les aime pour eux comme ils sont. Mes amis sont ma famille. Je ne fais pas de différence. C'est vraiment des gens sans qui je ne pourrais pas vivre. Ils m'apprennent des choses tous les jours. Ils montrent qu'ils m'aiment tous les jours, et j'essaie de montrer que je les aime tous les jours.


Je suis aussi 'thankful' pour mes parents. Ce sont deux personnes incroyables. Ils n'ont pas eu une vie facile mais ils m'aiment et me soutiennent. Je n'etais pas une enfant facile tous le temps, mais ils m'ont supporté. Et honnêtement, je ne sais pas comment ils ont fait.

Aussi, la mère d'A. Elle nous a toujours soutenu. Elle a toujours su qu'on était fait pour être ensemble. Et quand on n'était pas ensemble, on a crée un relation merveilleuse toutes les deux. C'est ma Mom II, ma maman. C'est une femme magnifique et je suis fière de l'appeler maman.

Pour nous, ici aux EU, Thanksgiving est le début des fêtes. Le vendredi, Black Friday, tous les magasins ont des soldes énormes. C'est le jour où l'on commence à faire le shopping pour Noël. On commence à mettre les décorations pour Noël. Mais, le jeudi, on dit merci. On parle avec la famille et on dit ce qu'on a sur le coeur.

La, dans ce post, je dis merci à tout le monde - mes parents, mes amis, vous, et mon mari. Merci. Je vous aime tous, et je ne pourrais pas être moi sans vous.

Merci encore, et bonnes fêtes (Happy Holidays!)!!!!


Mr and Mrs

Until next Time/A Bientot

Poulpy

5 comments:

Unknown a dit…

Ca c'est vraiment magnifique mon amour!!!! Et il y a beaucoup de personnes qui t'aiment et qui te remercient pour tout ce que tu fais pour eux au quotidien!!!!

That's really wonderful my love!!!! And a lot of people love you and thank you for all you do for them everyday!!!

Anonyme a dit…

très émouvant comme article

Girls en Ville a dit…

Merci! C'est genti de dire ca!

Armelle a dit…

Toutes mes félicitations!! Je suis trés heureuse pour toi. Je vous souhaite beaucoup de bonheur;-)

Girls en Ville a dit…

Merci Armelle!

Enregistrer un commentaire

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | ewa network review